On 30 Aug 2007, at 17:51, Designer wrote:
If a user is unfortunate enough to have eyesight which dictates that he/she has to use a screenreader, it is unlikey that he/she will get much out of flickr anyway. Even with alt tags, reading that he/she is 'looking' at a picture of 'my cat' or 'my birthday party' would be singularly dull, I'd have thought!

On the other hand, if I'm looking at Flickr with images turned off because (a) my service provider charges me per megabyte of data that I use and (b) my connection is very very slow, then its quite useful to be able to tell if a picture is of "my car" or "my birthday party" before telling my browser to load the thumbnail.

Lots of people seem to be hung up on the idea that alt text is for blind people, but there are quite a few other use cases for the attribute.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/