Felix Miata wrote:

So my question is: do we *know* that this applies to reading text
/on a computer screen/? Not "guess", not "believe", *know*.

Maybe something like this?
http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/2S/font.htm

And as additional answer to issue of aging boomers:
http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/3W/fontSR.htm

Neither of which are apparently worth anything, if your contention below
about assessing size is true :-)

To know how big 16px or 24px is requires knowing:

1-screen size
2-screen resolution
3-viewing distance

Plus, there are factors besides size that affect reading comfort, such as
contrast, leading, and line length.

At least, I didn't see any of that addressed on a quick read.

Had you written 12pt rather than 16px, one might assume that your system had
a properly adjusted DPI and consequently that 12pt really meant 12pt, a
physical size, and thus meaningful. Even so, without knowing your viewing
distance, we still don't know the apparent size.

On my 1280x1024 19" (diagonal) flat panel display, 12pt and 16px are
visually the same. The physical size on the screen is ~3.5mm (a bit
more than 1/8") and my viewing distance is ~32 inches.

But we don't have any of that for the "studies" you cite, so how much
can they really be relied on?

Note that it happened many many years ago when average screen DPI was much
much lower than it is now. 16px isn't as big as it used to be.

Uh-huh. And these studies were (apparently) published seven years
ago, and hence likely done on low-res CRTs, for which, again, we
have no data.

In the absence of /current/ evidence, I'd say the jury's still out :-)

--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                           dream.  code.