On 2007/09/05 23:17 (GMT+0300) Rimantas Liubertas apparently typed:

>> That was, in part, why I started this thread; I felt (and still feel)
>> that the notion of "you MUST design for 100% of your users' default text
>> size because that is their preferred text size" was becoming a mantra.

> And that is only an assumption. Default font size was chosen by browser
> vendors, not users. Not many know they can change it. Even less who know
> do it.

1-How many is not many?
2-How many more would it take to be enough?
3-How many actually need to, regardless whether they know they can, or how to?
4-Why do you assume they have reason to?

Maybe thinking in terms of an opposite proposition would be instructive.

1-I'd like to see (and expect never to find) a scientific study that shows
either:
a-complaints about web page text size being too big outnumber those about it
being too small by normal average web users (not by web designers)
b-author sizing to something less than 100% for primary content is preferred by
normal average web users (not by web designers)
c-most average web users (not web designers) find the defaults significantly
different from ideal and would change them if they knew how

2-If vendors were getting significant numbers of complaints from genuine
ordinary average web users, there is likelihood they would have changed them
somewhere along the developmental way. Now with a GUI web over a decade
old they are essentially unchanged in *nominal* size. During that same time,
the *physical* size of those same nominally sized defaults has been shrinking
significantly.

3-Fonts smaller than ideal have a different functional impact than fonts larger
than ideal. Too big far less often equates to unusable and/or painful than does
the converse. When I arrive on a site with too big fonts (as
often happens to me due to styling as described on
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/SS/Clagnut/eonsSS ) I usually don't find enough
discomfort to bother with resizing smaller, while when I arrive on the more
usual site with too
small fonts, I usually do one of three things: 1-close the tab; 2-hit back
button; 3-zoom text larger.

4-Not all web users are morons to whom the implicit meaning of Personal
Computer (PC) is lost. Personal means under and subject to the control and
personalization of the computers they own and/or use. That "most" don't go
beyond setting of desktop wallpaper and screensaver in personalizing is no
reason to assume that any change you make that affects what they see is likely
to be better for them than if you didn't. That you like smaller
fonts than the defaults is no reason to assume they do too.

I don't believe a web nearly 3 years beyond Firefox 1.0 and Safari 1.0 is still
so overwhelmed with users who are so totally unclued that they can personalize
their personal computer's web browsers that those who are clued
can be still be disregarded as insufficient justification to respect anyone's
preferences, whether actively or passively determined.
--
"It yet remains a problem to be solved in human affairs,
whether any free government can be permanent, where the

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409