On 2007/09/05 19:28 (GMT+0100) Tony Crockford apparently typed:

> On 5 Sep 2007, at 15:21, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Who made this a fact? Just because web designers, a group with the following
>> characteristics (creating a bias among them) to distinguish it from an
>> average member of the general public:

>> 1-detail oriented (more comfortable than average with small things)
>> 2-use large computer displays
>> 3-leave their browsers set to the defaults that they believe most
>> people use
>> (untweaked to suit their own personal preferences)
>> 4-young (have not yet reached age of deteriorating eyesight)

>> think it so, doesn't make it so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
>> Proof_by_assertion

> right back at you.

The point of pointing that page was the repetition factor, that people
eventually believe as fact anything sufficiently repeated, whether proven true
or otherwise. In web development circles, "the defaults are too big" is
a mantra that is not even close to a proven fact in the entire universe of web
users and would be web users who don't use the web because they can't easily
enough deal with the tiny text on most web pages.

> I'm 50 with imperfect vision, and still a web designer. (I do have a
> big screen with unchanged browser settings I'll grant you)

Big screen is of no small consequence here. An average designer wouldn't
intentionally continue to use a screen that's uncomfortably small. At some
point ~6+hrs a day in front of it would force a correction that simply is
not compelled among casual web users - either bigger screen, or different job.

> A lot of the web designers I know are not young and most of them wear
> glasses.

Wearing glasses proves nothing. Some people who haven't even reached their teen
years wear glasses. Even with glasses many over 40 have poor vision. How good
the net corrected vision is is what matters. Elder simply means
greater likelihood that corrected vision is poorer than average, and/or poorer
than it used to be.

> so proof by assertion works both ways.

I was not asserting all or exclusive, only average. I'm sure a scientific poll
on any general web development/design list would prove that the average of all
such characteristics among participants would show they AVERAGE
as indicated, NOT that all without exception are that way.

FewER people with poor eyesight take jobs demanding detail work in front of
computer screens. FewER people than average with full time jobs in front of
computer screens. It's a job comfort thing. YoungER people as a group
are more comfortable and more familiar with computers and thus more likely to
employ them heavily in their occupation than older people. There's already
proof in the results - the web is overwhelmed by sites that set fonts
smaller than the defaults - and the consequence that normal web users don't
like it. http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html
--
"It yet remains a problem to be solved in human affairs,
whether any free government can be permanent, where the

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409