Yeah The Site is built by tables layout.
But as you can see an external company built it:
http://www.mediascopeltd.com/

I think you should try to persuade your tutor that what he teach, it's
wrong.
show him sites which talks about web standards, about css models.
show him the following presentation: http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/
try to explain him that tables it's for tabular data only.