I would begin by installing Firebug and Yslow extensions in FF.
There's also a HTML validator based on Tidy that could be handy, but
you get the same level of validation w/ Firebug so no need to install
both (although I happen to have).

Other extensions worth having: Web developer Toolbar. I think there's
also a IE version.

/lmss