There is another possible outcome which is positive.

It's more likely (assuming they get the info about the meta-tag out there) that new sites will be developed using this meta-tag and standards-compliance. Eventually, the old sites will be replaced with new ones built in this fashion. Then, when they finally just drop the non-standards-compliance all together, fewer sites will break. They may be hoping for that outcome.

Katrina wrote:
Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
Karl Lurman wrote:

I think the thing to remember here is that, over time, the older
browsers will be phased out.

Jokes aside. As the older browsers FINALLY become less important,
YEARS from now, they can eliminate the meta-tag altogether.

But the crappy intranet sites etc that are coded specifically to IE6 or IE7's quirks *won't* go away (as that's the whole reason why MS are doing this), so no, the meta tag (and the associated rendering engine) will stay. If they're freezing rendering unless you opt-in because corporates won't update the sites now, what makes you think that they will ever update the sites? Come IE9, the argument will be the same: since IE8 rendered as IE7 by default, we can't now default to standards in IE9 because it would break the sites that didn't have to be updated last time around because of the switch...so, the switch stays.

I agree. But eventually MS are going to get sick of maintaining a rendering engine, I guess IE7 first, and then stop supporting it.

Then they will 'break' the web. All they will have done is delayed 'breaking' the web.

And because of the delay and the meta-tag, more developers will have grown complacent and lazy (coding for just that rendering engine*), and so the number of sites that will 'break' will have increased.

Kat
* who can blame them? It's the easy way out.

Christian Snodgrass
Azure Ronin Web Design
http://www.arwebdesign.net/ <http://www.arwebdesign.net>
Phone: 859.816.7955