Just keep the website to look and behave right in IE7 then!
and create every new website or important/ re-designed websites with the new
target IE8 tags!

sounds quite simple to me.
Maybe not the most perfect but you cannot expect everything to jump over night!

Chris Knowles wrote:
> Chris Broadfoot wrote:
>> Chris Knowles wrote:
>>  > I don't see how opting-in to standards by adding a meta tag does
>>  > anything for me or anyone else. Except for Microsoft of course, by
>>  > allowing them to do the right thing at last and create a decent
>> browser
>>  > while at the same time not doing the right thing and ignoring the
>> mess
>>  > they created.
>>  >

>> I don't think they're ignoring the "mess" they created at all.. Is
>> adding a meta tag really too much work to provide your users/visitors
>> the viewing experience they should have?
>>

> Yeah actually I agree, they're not ignoring the mess. Just actively
> covering it up by enlisting yours and my support.
>
> My users/visitors should get the right viewing experience by default,
> not by having to opt-in. On the contrary, if you wish your
> users/visitors to NOT get the right viewing experience, is opting-out
> by adding a meta tag really too much work?

The biggest problem is the fact that if they don't have it be the
"opt-in" option, that any older sites that used all of the hacks that
made it work in IE6 and IE7 won't work in IE8. That probably includes
even a lot of your own sites. Beyond that (since they could just make it
ignore those types of hacks which wouldn't be difficult), is pages even
older, and especially those web-based applications that relied on those
hacks.

It's the lesser of two evils, but it's still a huge pain.
--

Christian Snodgrass
Azure Ronin Web Design

The above message has been scanned and meets the Insurance Commission of
Western Australia's Email security requirements for inbound transmission.

********************************************************************************************************************************
The above message has been scanned and meets the Insurance Commission of
Western Australia's Email security policy requirements for outbound
transmission.

This email (facsimile) and any attachments may be confidential and privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (facsimile) is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email (facsimile) in error please contact
the Insurance Commission.

Web: www.icwa.wa.gov.au
Phone: +61 08 9264 3333