Karl Lurman wrote:

I think the thing to remember here is that, over time, the older
browsers will be phased out.

Jokes aside. As the older browsers FINALLY become less important,
YEARS from now, they can eliminate the meta-tag altogether.

But the crappy intranet sites etc that are coded specifically to IE6 or IE7's quirks *won't* go away (as that's the whole reason why MS are doing this), so no, the meta tag (and the associated rendering engine) will stay. If they're freezing rendering unless you opt-in because corporates won't update the sites now, what makes you think that they will ever update the sites? Come IE9, the argument will be the same: since IE8 rendered as IE7 by default, we can't now default to standards in IE9 because it would break the sites that didn't have to be updated last time around because of the switch...so, the switch stays.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com