Andrew Maben wrote:
I'm finding myself having to justify my work methods to a boss who has almost zero interest in usability, accessibility or standards. (Though I have managed to get into the long-term plan: "...website that is compliant with W3C standards and Section 508...")

One question that has been raised is "if site X has pages that validate as transitional, why do you have to produce pages that validate as strict?"

Personally, I find that it's actually no more difficult to validate to strict, so my answer would be along those lines...but obviously don't know your particular situation (e.g. lots of decentralised content authors, a heterogeneous team of authors with different skills, a hideous CMS WYSIWYG tool that outputs all sorts of rubbish, etc)

"Pages that validate as strict are superior to transitional because _______________."

There's not really a clear-cut answer. Again, speaking personally, I find that using strict helps in my quality assurance of other authors' work, because strict removed most of the presentational elements/attributes, whose presence often points to the likelihood of inaccessible content. By running third-party pages through strict validation, I can instantly see if they stuck in font elements or the like.

That is not to mean that it's not possible to make royally inaccessible pages in strict, mind...it just helps quickly identifying common old sources of problems from the HTML 4 days...

"It is important to serve pages that validate as strict because _______________."

Serving them as strict is irrelevant, in my mind. You could in fact still have transitional pages, just run them through the validator set to strict for the reason above.

IMHO, of course.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com