There are two people I know of in my company (over 100,000 people) who can
see the color red fine in the real world, but cannot read red text ,
typically error messages, on a computer screen. They did not know they had a
problem until they called a help desk to find out why they were having a
problem completing a form. Turns out they received errors but could not read
them. The area where the error messages appeared looked like smudges to
them, not text.

I have not read anything that describes this problem, yet they clearly could
not see the text well enough to read it. My recommendation to developers is
to show error messages as black text on a white background with a bold red
box around the error message.