I have had problems running FF2 on a machine also running FF3 -
specifically, and fatally for me, FireBug wouldn't install cleanly in
FF2 if I had FF3 running.

I'd load FF3 in a vmware image, or maybe test it with an Ubuntu 8.04 live CD.

Note that beta 5 at least is still rather unstable.  I've managed to
crash it semi-regularly - somewhere the combination of Gmail,
Campfire, and Firebug (I have to run an alpha of Firebug to get FF3
support) makes the browser die.  I'm not sure which of these is the
actual culprit, or if it's some combination, but clicking on a folder
in gmail, sometimes, kills the browser; and firebug itself often goes
into la-la land.

Release Candidate 1 is out now, so hopefully things will get more
stable when Ubuntu picks it up, but at the moment it's a world of pain
- at least for my configuration!

- Korny

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2008/05/20 15:13 (GMT+1200) Paul Bennett apparently typed:
>
>> Ack!
>> Anyone else had horrible problems installing FF3?
>
> No, but ...
>
>> My install crashes every time I open it, so I had to reinstall FF2..
>
> I avoid "installing" applications whenever possible. In the case of
> unreleased Gecko products, it's more than just possible, it's often
> preferable.
>
> Get yourself an archive build instead of an installer build from
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/ and see
> if you have better luck.
>
> There's no reason you can't have both on the same machine at the same time,
> though an extra step or three are required to enable using both at the same
> time, and you're probably better off not using a profile previously used with
> FF3 to use with FF2.
> --
> ". . . . in everything, do to others what you would
> have them do to you . . . ."       Matthew 7:12 NIV
>
>  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409
>
> Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kornelis Sietsma korny at my surname dot com
kornys at gmail dot com on google chat -- kornys on skype
"we do what we must, because we can"