On 2008/05/21 07:43 (GMT+1000) Korny Sietsma apparently typed:

> Sorry, I didn't mean "if I had FF3 running" - I had it *installed* but not
> running. And maybe I could have made it work, but I was under time
> pressure. I just installed FF2 through Ubuntu's standard "apt" system, and
> I'd hoped that it would be configured to install it completely
> independently.

> When I have more time I'll try again - but running a beta browser, with an
> alpha of FireBug, I wasn't really very surprised to have stability issues.
> Maybe I should have been.

With Linux distros, except in unusual circumstances, and assuming more than
one version exists to choose from, you have to choose only one version of an
application to install through the package management system. Other versions
must be installed outside the normal package management system.

With Mozilla products, it's usually best to install the stable version via
package management, then use bzip or whatever is required of the available
development or pre-release version in question to place in your $HOME tree or
/usr/local tree.

If you had a problem installing a mozilla.org build, odds are you didn't have
proper deps installed, probably the compat libstdc++5 library, or whatever
the Debian system calls it, or a new enough pango.

Another option if you want FF3 as your main (via package management) but to
keep FF2 for testing is to use Epiphany in lieu of FF2. Plans have been made
to switch Epiphany from Gecko to Webkit, but I don't think that will happen
before FF2 has had time to nearly die.

Oh, and FF3rc1 was out 3 days ago. If Debian sources now have the v3rc
available, it may be time to think about instead making it your normal, and
installing the mozilla.org release of FF 2.0.0.14 in $HOME or /usr/local.
--
". . . . in everything, do to others what you would
have them do to you . . . ."       Matthew 7:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/