I think someone the other day hit the nail on the head and it fits with your newspaper analogy.

<h1 class="masthead">for the logo</h1>
<h1>Title</h1>

My take on this, is that IT ALL DEPENDS !
Every site is different.
For example: www.calcresult.com does not use a traditional image-based
logo, so the arguments that the site logo is 'just a simple image' fails
completely.

Some sites look a bit like a newspaper. Newspapers themselves vary
considerably (in the UK at least.) Some have their name in large type,
eg the SUN
Others prefer a more subtle masthead, like The Times

If I had to replicate the former, I would undoubtedly put the word SUN
into an H1 - they care about their brand, and have little or no logo.

For The Times, I would not use an H1 - they believe that their
reputation speaks for itself.

Regards,
Mike