Hi Jason

Part of the problem (and I know I'm biased) is that not enough website
developers/publishers employ editors, whose bread and butter is information
design - how to effectively break up content and provide signposts that help
readers navigate their way through mountains of text.

An effective heading tells you something about the content which follows it.
In a well-structured document, a level 1 heading tells me about all the
stuff between it and the next level 1 heading. A logo is more like the title
which often appears as the verso running head in a book: it  reminds you
what book you're reading, but doesn't tell you anything specific about this
chapter/section.

Gerry McGovern has written a few times about the undervaluing of content as
exemplified by a development process where the team gets to a few weeks
before launch date and suddenly says "OK, where's the content? All that
stuff that replaces lorem ipsum?"  Much waving of hands and the expectation
that the words will materialise out of thin air.

Elizabeth Spiegel

Web editing

topleft

0409 986 158