On Nov 25, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

Of course, only HTML can be widely used, as long as XHTML isn't
supported by the most used browser.

I'm going to risk venturing an opinion here.

The high hopes that many of us may have had for XHTML as the wave of the future seem, sadly, to have foundered on the reef of MS intransigence.

Given that XHTML is not going to be supported by IE in the immediate future, if ever, serving XHTML strict as text/html seems a little quixotic. If your document can't be served as application/xhtml+xml then what's the point?

My preference has been to use HTML 4 strict, and I think for now it may be for the best to recognize this as best practice. If content enters the work-flow as XML, then XSLT can be used to create HTML presentation documents.

The HTML 5 spec is very slowly taking shape, and looking promising. So it would appear that for the next few years it will probably best to accept that it's HTML that will be the norm. XML is not going away, so by all means hope for an XHTM revival somewhere down the road, but for now, if it's text/html then shouldn't it be HTML as HTML, and not XHTML treated as HTML?

IMHO, naturally, and of course YMMV.

Andrew

www.andrewmaben.net
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"In a well designed user interface, the user should not need instructions."