Aaron Wheeler wrote:
Hi All

I was wondering if I can pick all your brains on an issue I am
facing. I am not a big coder and good when it comes to JavaScript. I
have recently taken charge of maintaining a website for a client who
uses divs to display data onto a .htm page. They do not want to use
.php and mysql data basing as they are worried about losing their
ranking in the search engines. Here is an extract of the coding.

<script language="javascript" src="rates.js"></script> - obviously imports the divs with the prices attached.ide1')>

And in the .htm document I have the code. <div id="hvh001"></div>

So I was wondering why this does not always work and especially when
I seem to update pages using dreamweaver.

I think it's a big mistake to use JavaScript to add essential
information to a document.

First, if Internet security options are set to high, as
security-conscious organizations do, then scripting is disabled in IE.
Second, the NoScript add-on for Firefox seems very popular - over 50
million downloads as of this writing.

Finally, it seems likely that search engines *may* miss this content,
possibly affecting the site's ranking. (Open to correction on this - I
am no SEO authority.)

Aside - I wouldn't rely on Dreamweaver's interpretation as truly
representative, although CS4 is a marked improvement over earlier versions.

Cordially,
David