On 13 Jan 2010, at 04:02, c...@fagandesign.com.au wrote:
> Now, this Accessibility Appendix lists CSS validation (point 3) as a required
> attribute for compliance.

No, it doesn't. The document says, under conformance:

        • Conformance Level "Triple-A": all Priority 1, 2, and 3 checkpoints
are satisfied;

Appendix A doesn't list any checkpoints.

> I guess my question is: Do IE-related CSS hacks cause a document to fail AAA
> (or A/AA for that matter) Accessibility compliance?

Maybe and no. There are IE-related CSS hacks that are valid, and others that
are not.

The valid ones don't cause it to fail any checkpoint, as far as I know.

Guideline 3 says "Use markup and style sheets and do so properly" and you could
make a case that invalid CSS is not "using style sheets properly".

Checkpoint 3.2 says "Create documents that validate to published formal
grammars.", but it can be argued that a style sheet is not a document.

Meanwhile, WCAG 2.0 makes no requirement that CSS be valid (and when refers to
'markup' rather than 'documents').

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk