Hi David,

On 1/13/10 12:24 PM, Thierry Koblentz wrote:
>>> Nick Zoom:1 is not bad enough to warrant a conditional comment and
>>> separate style sheet. It's a valid rule that basically says show
>>> the screen at 100%. A user style sheet can still over-ride this
>>> rule. It's an easy way to add hasLayout without causing other
>>> issues. This is what Microsoft recommended when they introduced IE7
>>> and there's not a strong reason to avoid it.
>>
>> Another way to trigger hasLayout in IE7 without failing validation is
>> to use min/max-height or min/max-height. But I agree, zoom's perfect
>> for those who don't care for CSS validation (does not work in IE5
>> though).

> At the moment, I am using this to trigger hasLayout for IE 6+7 on
> elements with default or applied "display: block;" -
>
>   .add-layout { display: inline-block; } /* add "layout" to IE 6+7 */
>   .add-layout { display: block; } /* does not reset "layout" */
>
> Valid CSS and does not seem to disturb other browsers.

> I may be all wet, but limited testing so far seems to work. Any known
> problems?

Not as I know of.
That technique is good too for people who care for validation, but the fact
that it can't be in the same rule is a pain for maintenance.
As a side note, I don't think I'd use it the way you do though - as you're
using markup (the class) to fix a browser issue (unless that selector is just
to demonstrate the technique).

--
Regards,
Thierry | www.tjkdesign.com