Dan I would look past per-site design choices such as that.

and look into the neat and beneficial features which are many and various

(also the example in use there is outdated compared with the code on github)

the site has the initial release of html5boilerplate where as the github
repo is stages ahead of this

http://github.com/paulirish/html5-boilerplate/blob/master/index.html

also it is not finished 100% some tweaks to go - mid aug apparently
<http://github.com/paulirish/html5-boilerplate/blob/master/index.html>
 - S