[Prelim: I'm posting this on the Developers reflector instead of the wider
WSJT group since I find this group has a better SNR.  If you feel it needs
the wider distribution of the latter net, please let me know - John/KE7B]

This past weekend, I attended the Pacific NW DX Convention, where the buzz
of JT/FT was tangible.  Mind you, while these folks are very accomplished
hams, as a more "experienced" WSJT operator, I often felt I was visiting
Jurassic Park.  When I mentioned I had worked 240/confirmed 236 on
JT65/JT9/FT8, I was given some creds (most had never tried these modes and
believed our community was tiny and incapable of serious DX work).  The
biggest news for me was the talk about the upcoming DXpedition to Mellish
Reef (VK9MA) and the stated intention to try JT65 and/or FT8 on one of the 5
positions.  Of course, RATE is always the #1 issue with DXpeditioners and
Contesters.  I believe this may be the first great opportunity for WSJT to
succeed for a major DXpedition.   I spent some time talking with the team
leader and others about expectations.  Not surprisingly, we cannot expect
the team to run QSOs conventionally.

Below is the summary of their thoughts.  Again, we can't insist that they
run their Q-exchanges conventionally as WSJT is designed, but they are open
to some moderated feedback.  I promised I would provide their input to the
Developers and get them a summarized response.

SUMMARY BEGINS (Notes from team to me)

Rate is the number #1 concern as well as a few other issues.  A WSJT
exchange from an expedition perspective is a fast exchange which hams are
typically familiar with, such as CW and or RTTY modes.

Current expedition exchange(s) using CW and/or RTTY normally look like the
following:
VK9MA:  CQ CQ VK9MA {optional UP | DN }
KE7B  replying to VK9MA replies: KE7B
VK9MA sends:  KE7B 599
KE7B replies: 599 TU

at this point the QSO is concluded if VK9MA replies with:
TU QRZ VK9MA UP
OR
continues a bit longer if VK9MA retries/replies with:
KE7B 599
if VK9MA didn't receive KE7B initial reply
at which point KE7B replies with:
599 TU
and VK9MA sends: TU QRZ VK9MA UP

JT65/JT9 or FT8 throws us a different curve ball in that:
1.  An FT8 exchange is automated with built in retries. therefore the
exchange is  either successful or not. Therefore we (VK9MA) don't have to
worry about retries, as the exchange will either be successful or not.
2.   JT65/JT9 exchanges can be orchestrated because users have time to
change the exchange.
3.   The users of WSJT application are trained to click on the CQ calling
station. Therefore only the really advanced users know/understand the
concept of calling UP/or DOWN in frequency.  Therefore we can expect almost
all  stations respond to the VK9MA CQ by  clicking on the VK9MA CQ in the
application and effectively responding by TX on the VK9MA  calling
frequency.
4.   WSJT application normally has KE7B initially respond to the exchange
with Grid Square which the DX station doesn't care about.

Therefore if I would like JT65/JT9/FT8 to follow the normal CW/RTTY
expedition exchange
1.   An Ideal exchange should follow as close to the following as possible.
        VK9MA initially sends: "CQ VK9MA XX87" , note without the UP/DWN
        KE7B replies anywhere in the 1-4KHz window: "VK9MA KE7B -01"
        VK9MA responds: "KE7B VK9MA R-01"
        At this point the exchange is complete.  If KE7B didn't get the
VK9MA response, then he can then call again with KE7B -01...and VK9MA can
repeat "KE7B R-01". This can be integrated/automated into the WSJT FT8
application.
        VK9MA sends: "TU QRZ VK9MA"
        Using this approach will be super efficient and make FT8  the GO TO
digital mode
2.   Using JT65 or JT9 the exchange should be the same, other than the users
will have to manually select the exchange using the "Next" buttons which
might be a challenge to most users.

END SUMMARY

OK, folks.  This is the Mellish Reef team's intent for 90 days hence.  It's
now your opportunity to tell them what they can reasonably expect, what they
should and should not try, or perhaps consider for future WSJT HF
enhancement.  How Mellish goes may be groundbreaking, since propagation will
be poor, and it is a golden opportunity for WSJT to shine on a
DXer/Contester stage as well as for the newly licensed.  I welcome your
feedback.  I'll assemble and relay your voices to the VK9MA team.

73 John KE7B