The digital mode watering holes are not (as far as I know in most cases) part
of any international agreement or national regulation. If a group of operators
want to agree amongst themselves to operate on a particular spot, it is
incumbent on them to avoid interference with existing operations and be “good
neighbors.” Don’t think it is the dev team’s job to dictate slots (and they
have been extremely thoughtful in this regard).

It seems JT9 and FT8 would be the best fit for side-by-side operation. If the
FT8 watering hole is crowded where you are, may I suggest that sliding up a
couple of kHz would be an acceptable practice? In most situations, this will
leave the JT65 slot open for very weak signal users.

Users can add frequencies to their configurations very easily (see the manual).
Wide receive passbands are possible on some radios, and who knows, this may be
a spur to future I/Q stream development, allowing even more bandwidth to be
guarded at once.

George J Molnar
Washington, DC, USA
KF2T   -   @GJMolnar