Ed,

I hope I get this right.  With either Fake It (which I use with my 6700) or
Rig, WSJT is doing some math to keep your audio frequency in the middle of
the  Tx audio bandpass.  That is where there is the least likelihood of
distortion.  To do that it either adds or subtracts from the VFO frequency
on your radio when you transmit  to keep you centered in the Tx bandpass.
On the receive end your audio frequency comes out wherever you placed the
Red bucket..  You can see the VFO frequency shift by watching the VFO
frequency display on the Flex when you Tx and go back to base on Rx.

It all works, it is just a little different.  I think of the VFO frequency
as the base frequency.  What matters is the audio frequency - the number
you see on the Wide Graph.  I use DXKeeper and what actually gets logged is
the base frequency plus the audio frequency (I think)   I made a 15m FT8 Q
yesterday and what was logged as the Tx frequency was 21.076131.  The base
frequency was 21.074 and I must have been on 2131 which makes
sense because I usually hang out above 2000 (less interference).

Hope that helps

John