1. RTTY is a well-defined protocol; the result of any modifications to this
protocol would not be RTTY.

2. Significant work has been done to improve RTTY decoding; see

https://www.rttycontesting.com/downloads/2tone/ (David G3YYD)

http://www.dxatlas.com/Gritty/  (Alex VE3NEA)

Some digital mode applications can simultaneously display the results of
several different RTTY decoders.

3. Each candidate development task has an "opportunity cost". The time spent
extending WSJT-X to support RTTY is time that can't be spent improving WSJT-X
in other dimensions. The WSJT-X developers are in a unique position to improve
their product; there are many other developers who can further improve RTTY
applications. David and Alex continue to improved their applications, and MMTTY
is open source.

Thus I strongly recommend that the WSJT-X team continue to apply that
all-too-rare skill among software developers: focus.

        73,

               Dave, AA6YQ

I'm not so sure it would be that easy.  All of the WSJT-X modes require some
pretty rigid rules, not the least of which is fixed time frames closely locked
to the same reference.  They also require some pretty narrowly constrained
message formats.  I really doubt that very many current RTTY users would be
willing to give up their current flexibility.  If they were, they'd be a whole
lot better off just to migrate to FT8 or FT4.

Besides, the RTTY protocol by definition has some rather severe limitations,
only two tones being one of them.

73,
Dave   AB7E