The only reason you'd add RTTY to WSJT-X is if there were some way to
improve it for weak signal work, the program and its protocols were not
designed for any other reason.   The other reason is one you overlooked
in Dave's post:

Quote:

3. Each candidate development task has an "opportunity cost". The time spent
extending WSJT-X to support RTTY is time that can't be spent improving WSJT-X in other
dimensions. The WSJT-X developers are in a unique position to improve their product;
there are many other developers who can further improve RTTY applications. David and Alex
continue to improved their applications, and MMTTY is open source.

Thus I strongly recommend that the WSJT-X team continue to apply that
all-too-rare skill among software developers: focus.

Unquote.

Neil, KN3ILZ