On 3/4/21 11:43 AM, Alan wrote:

In my experience portable operation does indeed have a problem with drifting clocks due to temperature variations, and particularly wind.

Internet connectivity may well be unavailable, so I've bought a cheap GPS dongle that does the job just fine.

A good idea !

Averaging received time differentials to provide a correction is an interesting thought though, but in my view providing that was done only inside WSJT-X and only for the current session - no changes to the system clock itself, or permanent config changes.

If you are using a GPS dongle, in portable operation, you have solved the problem as long as you have a sufficient sight to the satellites.

When using ntpd or chrony, you have the opportunity to use multiple time signal sources. Use some sources in the Internet and your GPS dongle and you will be able to set the needed parameters related to the USB dongle. When the Internet connection will not more be available, in portable operation, you have the right parameters set for your USB dongle.

Best wishes,
Claude (DJ0OT)