From: Black Michael via wsjt-devel [mailto:wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net]
Sent: maanantai 10. huhtikuuta 2023 17.00
To: Reino Talarmo via wsjt-devel <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Cc: Black Michael <mdblac...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] Truncated Waterfall Display "Feature"

-24 is not the minimum SNR reported.  -30 is. Below -24 is pretty rare though
and is a big "knee"in the data.

Here's a histogram from my station.

Mike W9MDB

      3 -27

     23 -26

     75 -25

   2353 -24

   3907 -23

   8187 -22

  16812 -21

  28821 -20

  41617 -19

  49679 -18

  54327 -17

  56758 -16

  56976 -15

  55953 -14

  54478 -13

  52240 -12

  50195 -11

  47384 -10

  44725  -9

  42112  -8

  38922  -7

  36171  -6

  33457  -5

  30718  -4

  28010  -3

  25648  -2

  23303  -1

  21015   0

  18789   1

  16493   2

  14505   3

  12637   4

  10915   5

   9340   6

   8041   7

   6784   8

   5697   9

   4804  10

   3982  11

   3401  12

   2743  13

   2229  14

   1724  15

   1380  16

   1051  17

    796  18

    606  19

    433  20

    313  21

    244  22

    173  23

    110  24

     75  25

     48  26

     38  27

     30  28

     26  29

     13  30

      8  31

     10  32

      1  33

      2  34

      1  35

      2  36

     12  38

      2  39

      5  40

      1  42

      1  43

      1  45

      1  47

      1  48

      1  49

      1  52

      1  57

      1  58

      1  59

      1  60

      1  61

      2  62

      1  63

      2  64

On Monday, April 10, 2023 at 08:44:23 AM CDT, Reino Talarmo via wsjt-devel
<wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net <mailto:wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> >
wrote:

Hi Sam,

Thanks Sam, I am aware of that problem and for sure it affects to the
"absolute" S/N values. There is another issue due to the limited dynamic range
and that all S/N values below -24 dB are reported as -24 dB. I have partially
tried to avoid the issue by only taking into calculation messages that are
received by both receives. I also checked how much those measurements with one
of the values reported as -24 dB (less than 1 % of all values) really affect to
the calculated average and deviation values and there is a minor shift at one
or two higher attenuation point, when I leave those out.

73, Reino OH3mA