HI!

Just worked a short OH-FT8 contest that uses "NA VHF" settings with WSJT-X.
I had my logging program using UDP remote connect to WSJT-X and once contest was over I created Cabrillo logs. From WSJT-X and from my logging program. Just to compare.

Then I started to wonder....why logs differ?

Further investigation from WSJT-X adi log showed out that WSJT-X uses "time_off" as Cabrillo time, while my logging program uses "time_on" for it. Difference, when it happens, is usually 1-2 minutes. But if it happens, in very poor conditions, that completing qso needs many periods that time difference may grow to several minutes, I think. (Depending on used contest format. NA VHF is quite straight, while EU VHF has a period more to exchange)

I checked Cabrillo definitions from wwrof.org but there seems to be no definition about QSO record time (start or end of qso). That is perhaps because in traditional CW or Phone contests the time is always QSO start time as qsos take only few seconds.

FT8 world is a bit different, or is it anyway?

On what bases it has been chosen that WSJT-X uses qso end time as Cabrillo time?

--
Saku
OH1KH