On 4 Jan 2012, at 16:59, Dave Tapley wrote:

> I do like the idea that wxc is a separate project, upon which wxHaskell
> depends, however..
> When configuring wxcore I use wxc's package info, and so require wxc to be
> installed by cabal, and I assume it is the intention of the wxC project to be
> language independent?

I think that would help.  One hope is that if we had a separate project that
tried harder to be language agnostic, and which had none of the trappings of a
Haskell project, we might be able to get more help from the wxWidgets team.
Make it look like any other project written in C, the basic autotools (or more
likely Bakefile as wxWidgets use it), the pkgconfig stuff, etc.

Then you can imagine wxc getting into your favourite package manager, like
Homebrew.

> However as I note there it does make wxc dependent on gcc, and now I'm
> thinking that the perhaps it's better to move to the language independent wxC
> approach (i.e. away from cabal), and use a make system which does 'real' C++
> dependency tracking.

Yup.  I'd suggest using whatever wxWidgets use.

Note also that the wxWidgets people have in the past brought up Swig and the
idea of abusing doxygen to generate the wxC layer.

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>