Referring to the installation instructions, we have the following
environment variables:

    CABAL_DIR: C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\cabal (Windows XP: C:\Documents
and Settings\XXX\Application Data\cabal, or: %APPDATA%\cabal)
    GHC_VERSION: 7.0.3 (for our convenience)
    WXC_VERSION: 0.90.0.2
    WXWIN: C:\wxWidgets-2.9.3
    WXCFG: gcc_dll\mswu
    PATH: (add these)
%WXWIN%\lib\gcc_dll;%WXWIN%;%CABAL_DIR%\wxc-%WXC_VERSION%\%GHC_VERSION%

It may be worth considering how all these are used. In particular, are
GHC_VERSION, WXC_VERSION, WXWIN and CABAL_DIR only used for setting the path?