I tried updating some old wxHaskell code to work with recent
ghc/wxHaskell. On a windows xp system, I have installed the
ghc-6.10.3 and wxhaskell-bin-msw2.8.10-ghc6.10.3-0.11.1.2-0
binary installers. After compiling my code, I can't run the executables,
due to missing dependencies (copied from event viewer):

    Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT could not be found
    and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

    Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC90.CRT. Reference
    error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

    Generate Activation Context failed for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wxc-msw2.8.10-0.11.1.2.dll.
    Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

    Application popup: NetEdit.exe - Application Error : The application failed
    to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the
application.

This has come up before, and the advice has been to install extra bits
of Visual Studio. However, the latest recommended version of these
files clearly states that they may only be used with a valid Visual Studio
license:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

So that is a no-go. As I understand the VS deployment models, VS
distinguishes between components that may be redistributed and those
that may not. wxHaskell should only depend on the former, and should
include them in the binary installer, because the kind person building
wxHaskell via VS is the only one who can include those redistributable
dependencies.

Deployment (C++)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zebw5zk9.aspx

Redistributing Visual C++ Files

Deployment Examples

(the examples explicitly mention wxHaskell's missing library, so it
seems to be among the redistributable ones)

Unless I am misunderstanding the process or licensing terms, the
wxHaskell installer should provide the missing component, or
non-VS users will not be able to use the wxHaskell binary.

Claus