Hi all,

Very busy with work, so this will need to be a short answer.

I agree with Claus that there is a potential problem here, although it
is perhaps overstated slightly. However, as someone who works at a
company which is very careful about IP issues, I understand the point.

There are a couple of approaches we could take.

One is to build wxWidgets as a completely static library, and statically
link with wxC. If we do this, we could continue to deliver binaries
built using the Microsoft toolchain, although wxHaskell binaries would
then be enormous (and I should note that Microsoft now goes to some
trouble to make it tedious to statically link the run-time).

I think, therefore, that the best approach is probably to deliver our
Windows binary builds based on the MinGW toolset. I've never actually
used this on Windows (I'm very familiar with the GNU toolset on Linux
and other unices), and I suspect that this may be the case for the other
developers. This means a transition for me, which I'm quite happy to
make in theory, but which will probably take some time for to complete
in practice.

A handy benefit of using MinGW is that we would no longer suffer from
'Manifest hell' - the exciting new scenario Microsoft has produced to
replace DLL hell...

One thing to note is that I would like to be very certain that any
change to the binary distribution model does not introduce a dependency
on cygwin.dll for wxHaskell applications on Windows, since this would
effectively require all apps based on our binaries to be GPL licensed,
which I find unacceptable.

Regards
Jeremy