On 26 May 2011 11:38, Eric Kow <eric....@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are the implications (all three platforms)?
>
> My general priority is just-workingness.  Right now, installing
> wxHaskell on Mac is still a bit of pain.  I think we've got it boiled
> down to
>
>  1. install homebrew
>  2. brew install haskell-platform
>  3. brew install wxmac
>  4. [when next release is out] cabal install wx
>
> And I would be nervous about anything that deviates significantly
> from that

I know the build implications for Windows (wxUSE_GLCANVAS in setup.h and
USE_OPENGL=1 when compiling). A quick read up on the subject implied that
HOPENGL recommends using a different (Open Source) GLUT wrapper on Windows,
but I don't know what that means in practice.

Don't know for Mac (ISTR Mac has about the best OpenGL story of all common
platforms)

I fear that Linux will be distro-dependent, which is the worst of all
possible worlds!

That's why I need someone to convince me that it doesn't make the install
process too complicated.

> It might be a good idea to adopt the strike-whilst-iron-hot and
> reduce-friction mentality here.  In other words, rather than waiting
> indefinitely for our good but overloaded cho admins to get to it,
> just stick the branch up at darcsden in the interim so that people
> who are already keen to get hacking can get hacking (before they
> lose interest and wander off) :-)

I'm thinking seriously of hosting wxHaskell at darcsden anyway, since
branch/fork support is a very nice thing to have.

Currently sorting out event handling so that it works for both wxWidgets
2.9.x and 2.8.x. We support too many events which no longer exist and not
enough of those which have been added since 2.4.x :-( Will post an updated
repo once I have this working, followed by a fork which supports GLCanvas

Jeremy