I don't think that is it.

Today I had one app open and then tried to launch another. The former app kept running, but the console spit back a display cannot be found error when I attempted to launch the second. I closed the first app and attempted to relaunch it -- but it wouldn't.

I killed the ssh session and opened another one, and then launched both apps with no problem.