It's definitely client side. I logged into the same server on a Snow Leopard machine and did not have the same problem.

I looked at my /etc/ssh directory and no modifications were made there since 2015, so it doesn't seem that Sierra overwrote anything. What I think happened is that the defaults in the binary for ssh have changed in Sierra. One way to verify that for sure would be to try logging in from a Yosemite VM; or is there perhaps a way to make ssh show it's build defaults?

For now I've set ForwardX11Trusted to Yes and will see how it goes.