I am going to assume that this is a Mac issue and hence a XQuartz problem?

If this is a Mac issues, for some reason after updating to Catalina I found my
X11 folder moved to my desktop under a “old files” folder (my computer does not
speak english so a rough translation). I had to re-install XQuarts to get all
the functionalities I use to work correctly after updating.

Hope this helps