I think the issue is xterm, not XQuartz.app or X11.app.  I got rid of my
XQuartz installation, and the old X11.app installation, and re-built
xorg-server from MacPorts from scratch on Catalina using Xcode 11.0 command
line tools.  Xterm behaved as has been described in this thread, but, rxvt,
eterm seem to be working fine, at least with respect to the behavior here.
Running with SIP activated, stock Catalina install, X11 support installed in
/opt.

Jonathan