If you are using xterm, that seems to be the case.  Using other X-Window
terminal programs like rxvt don’t seem to have the problem.  Using native
MacOSX terminal applications like Terminal.app and iTerm2.app don’t have any
problems.

However, after all of my playing around, xterm is now working as it should.
All the cd’ing, ls’ing, in all kinds of circumstances seems to have set
something.

Jonathan