As a data point, if it is relevant, rxvt has always worked from El Capitan,
which was when I bought this Mac, to Catalina today.  Not sure if that is
important, but, it is an observation.  ETerm was not working, but, I haven’t
upgraded it since the MacPorts upgrade.  I normally used Apple’s Terminal, and
iTerm, but, xterm, et al, are useful once in awhile, which why I keep them
around.

Another point, the last time I installed xterm prior to today, the operating
system was Catalina 10.15.2.  When I upgraded MacPorts today, my machine had
been upgraded to 10.15.3 in the interim.  Your point about potential point
upgrade to the devices fixing the bug could be on point.

Jonathan