I remember asking that question :-) -----------------------------------------------------------
From: Lee Bengston <[email protected]> Date: Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:28 PM Subject: geo files for simple maps To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <[email protected]> Hi All, Maybe I just got lost in all the details of information in the HowTo: Maps and the Readme.maps, but I couldn't find the procedure for creating a geo file for a scanned or screenshot based map, i.e. a simple JPG, PNG, or GIF. I have a map of a course for a public service event that is basically a screen shot of Yahoo Maps saved as a JPG. I recall I need the lat/lon of the upper left and lower right corners of the map for the geo file, but what else, and what does the geo file format look like for this type of map? Thanks, Lee - K5DAT Murphy, TX --------------------------------------------------- From: Alex Carver <[email protected]> Date: Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM Subject: Re: [Xastir] geo files for simple maps To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <[email protected]> It's just a simple .geo like the others you've seen. First line is the keyword FILENAME and then the filename of the image Next line is keyword TIEPOINT followed by the pixel x, pixel y, longitude, and latitude of the pixel Final line is another TIEPOINT for the opposite corner in the same format. ---------------------------------------------------- ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Curt, WE7U <[email protected]> Date: Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 3:54 PM Subject: Re: [Xastir] geo files for simple maps To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <[email protected]> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Alex Carver wrote: > It's just a simple .geo like the others you've seen. > First line is the keyword FILENAME and then the filename of the image > Next line is keyword TIEPOINT followed by the pixel x, pixel y, longitude, > and latitude of the pixel > Final line is another TIEPOINT for the opposite corner in the same format. Explained a bit in README.MAPS and a bit more extensively in the online help in Xastir itself. Note that the tiepoints do not have to be at the corners, but you get a bit more accuracy if they're as close as possible. Pick two spots on the map that you know the lat/long of, which are separated both vertically and horizontally at much as possible. -- Curt, WE7U. archer at eskimo dot com http://www.eskimo.com/~archer Lotto: A tax on people who are bad at math. - unknown Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates. - WE7U. The world DOES revolve around me: I picked the coordinate system!" _______________________________________________ Xastir mailing list [email protected] http://lists.xastir.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/xastir
