On Jul 2, 2007, at 9:34 PM, Curt Mills wrote:

Note:  I'm not a Mac user, but _am_ a Unix and Linux user/SysAdmin,

me too...

so I'm not sure how fragile a Mac is these days.  I would think not
very fragile...

nope, not at all. I personally rank it just below solaris and above linux in reliability. I just took an X-serve down after 4 years of reliable service. The hardware finally flaked out, so I had to put it down.

Tom brought up a good point, though. If you are using USB/rs232 adapters, please list which one, especially the chipset if you can (list the device special file name if all else fails; sometimes that's a clue).

The only serious problems I've ever had at the mac OS level when using xastir were related to the driver for a usb/232 adapter.

-Jason
kg4wsv