Hi Martin,

> An "M" gesture for a marker and a "W" gesture for
> a waypoint appears to be a good idea at first glance.

I thought so too.  I've since simplified it to drawing a square "o",
clockwise for dropping a Marker and anti-clockwise for a Waypoint.
In my simple ground based tests I think complicated gestures might
not be reliable when airborne in turbulent conditions.

I think there are several simple gestures that could be used
according to users' preferences.

> Could be problematic if there is no waypoint event, though.

There is an AddWaypoint event as described by Max in a message on
24-Jul:
"For experts: there's an event called "AddWaypoint" which you can
 add to your .xci file, to have a shortcut for that feature."

Thus, "event=AddWaypoint" is the entry for an xci file.
In a quick test of extending my .xci file with an additional button
on the pan menu and a gesture, this works as expected.

Regards,
Neil