Philippe Gerum wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:

>>> As you are still remain vague on the actual problematic scenarios, I
>>> will try to go through them, and maybe you can add/correct what I miss:
>>>
>>>  - faults in user land => can be silently handled by Linux after
>>>    dropping to root domain. This lowering is perfectly fine as the
>>>    higher domains showed no interest in the fault, thus are currently
>>>    running in domain-agnostic code paths anyway.
>>>
>>>  - faults on fixable kernel addresses => same as above. If the high
>>>    domains fail to evaluate the fix-up result, it's not I-pipe's fault.
>>>
>>>  - minor faults on kernel addresses (more precisely: in the I-pipe core
>>>    or some I-pipe user) => those would now went unnoticed and need
>>>    further thoughts, granted.
>>> +
>>>  - major faults on kernel addresses => still generate major oopses and
>>>    will thus be visible.
>>>
>>> Did I missed something? If not, I would now start addressing the
>>> remaining problematic scenario directly instead of throwing all into the
>>> same pot.

>>> It's not nice, but it is at least as ugly as reporting a kernel BUG when
>>> there is only a gracefully fixable bug in user code. I definitely do not
>>> agree with your approach as well, and I'm convinced we need to find a
>>> third way here.
>> OK, I think this should be acceptable for everyone. It's basically your
>> approach, reworked to avoid false positives. Moreover, it
>> unconditionally sets the root domain - should be faster.
>>

> Fine with me now. I made the fault report systematically dumped when
> CONFIG_IPIPE_DEBUG is enabled, to help us fixing the existing issues in
> the skins (e.g. syscall arguments escaping the required sanity checks
> for whatever reason).

Well, this is practically your original version. I still don't see why
we want debug code in production setups (WARN_ON, e.g., doesn't work
this way either), and I still don't understand why you want to report
user faults as kernel bugs.

If you want to spot skin issues, just grep for __xn_copy_to/from_user or
__xn_strncpy_from_user and check for missing return code evaluations.
Really, that's nothing we need runtime checks in I-pipe for.