Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> Philippe Gerum wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 19:31 +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> full of energy after this tremendous first XUM,
>> Agreed, thanks to the DENX folks for having thought of it in the first
>> place, and organized it nicely.
>>
>>>  I would like to start a
>>> discussion about what people would like to see in the 2.5 branch.
>>>
>> Jan has described the situation quite accurately already, regarding the
>> trade-off between getting everything we want into 2.5 so that no 2.6 is
>> required, and releasing the too long-awaited 2.5 asap.
>>
>> As you mentioned already, the key issue is ABI stability.
>> Any change we want before 3.0 that breaks the ABI should preferably go
>> to 2.5, so that we don't end up maintaining 2.5.x, 2.6.x and 3.x. At any
>> rate, we could not afford the latter anyway. This is a different matter
>> than API issues; we already allowed API extensions during a stable
>> cycle, provided they do not break existing application code (except in
>> emergency cases), so I see no problem in pushing a few more services to
>> 2.5.1 and beyond, provided that condition is met.
>>
>>> Here is a first list, please feel free to criticize it:
>>> - signals in primary domain (something that we almost forgot)
>> Yes, this one must be in. At least, we should break the ABI one more
>> time for this before releasing 2.5.0. This item has priority #1 for
>> me, since providing that infrastructure will enable a series of
>> additional services to be implemented properly. In fact, this is more a
>> matter of allowing nucleus callouts to user-space than anything else;
>> POSIX RT signals in full primary mode being an application of them.
>
> Ok. So, if we add the core skin fdtable, this leaves us with two items:
> - signals in primary domain

Sorry, I neither see the need nor feel comfortable about the impact /
side effects of such an extension.

> - core skin fdtable

If we can find a minimally invasive first version (see other thread)
that can be tested and stabilized within very few weeks, and later
changes will definitely only touch core code, I might be able to live
with this for 2.5.