On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 22:43 -0700, Stefan Schaal wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
>   here is a quick first report on an issue that appeared with Xenomai 2.5.5
> --- NOTE: 2.5.4 (and earlier) DOES NOT have this issue.
>
> We run multiple real-time processes, synchronized by semaphores and
> interprocess communication using shared memory. All is cleanly implemented
> using the xenomai real-time functions, no mode switches. The different
> processes are distributed on different processors of our multi-core machine
> using rt_task_spawn() with the T_CPU directive.
>
> Up to version 2.5.4, this worked fine.
>
> With version 2.5.5 (and 2.5.5.1), the processes hang after a few seconds of
> running (CPU consumption goes to zero), and usually one of them hangs so
> badly that it cannot be killed anymore with kill -9 -- thus reboot is
> required.
>
> The problems happens on BOTH our i386 machine (Dell 8-core, ubuntu 9.04,
> kernel 2.6.29.5) AND x86_64 machine (Dell 8 core, ubuntu 9.10, kernel
> 2.6.31.4). Thus, this seems to be specific to the xenomai release 2.5.5 and
> higher.
>
> No "dmesg" print-outs when this error occurs.
>
> We will try to create a simple test program to illustrate the problem, but
> maybe the issue is already obvious to some of the experts on this list.

$ cat /proc/xenomai/stat
$ cat /proc/xenomai/sched

when the threads hang would help.

Additionally, please clone the -stable repo from there:
git://git.xenomai.org/xenomai-2.5.git

then branch+build and test from these commits:

- 6a020f5 first; if the bug does not show up anymore, check the next one
- 5e7cfa5; if the bug is still there, try disabling
CONFIG_XENO_OPT_PRIOCPL to test the basic system and re-check.