Assaf Arkin wrote:
<<<No problem. If you cannot specify in the DTD that whitespace is
ignoreable, it gets reported.>>>

Yeah, so the poor programmer is back to square one, having to prune the
space himself.

I still feel that since the way white space should be handled is very
app-specific the best way of handling this is not to try and second guess
the app programmer by examining the DTD or applying other rules.  As Tim
Bray said "a lot of smart people have wasted a lot of time trying to write
down simple rules".  The implication is that it can't be done.  (I certainly
didn't like the rule you proposed.  Not all #PCDATA is the same.  I have
applications where I use #PCDATA in a very restricted way and would want
"fierce normalization" (including the pruning of blank text nodes) to be
applied.)

The best we can do is to help the app programmer handle his app-specific
rules by providing facilities that handle certain common cases for him.
Lots of people are going to want to strip white-space text nodes.  Xerces or
DOM should provide the mechanism (via methods or properties) but leave it up
to the app programmer to decide the policy of whether these mechanisms
should be applied or not.

-- jP --

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information.  No
If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all
sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. CREDIT SUISSE GROUP, CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON, and each of
their subsidiaries each reserve  the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the message states
otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of
any such entity.