> Seems to me it's kind of a waste of time for an app writer to count on
> help from the DOM here, simply because there are going to be lots of
> times when you don't have a DTD or schema or whatever.  Thus, you're
> going to have to write the code to nuke the superfluous whitespace
> anyhow, so why not just curse a little bit and then do it?

I find it easier in some cases to get a DTD, easier in others to use it
programattically.

Even if there's no DTD for what I'm doing, I can always supply one to
the parser get whitespace handling, namespace handling, default
attributes, and validation all rolled into one. Alternatively, I could
write all that code. But somehow a simple XML document (yes, I'm using
schema, you got me) works better than lots of Java code.

When the code is very generic, that's where I have to reimplement
portions of the parser (no DTD=no validation). Sigh.

> One of the nice things about doing database rather than document
> processing is that you don't have to deal with whitespace.  Sigh. -T.

Actually databases tend to produce superflous spaces when using CHAR
fields rather than VARCHAR :-) Lot's of trim calls there as well.

arkin