Hi,

I'm running an old Pentium Pro (I wish I could upgrade it, but other
limiting factors) with a Matrox G450 PCI dual head card with XFree86 4.2.0
and the mga 2.0 drivers on Solaris 2.5.1 (can't upgrade to a newer Solaris
either) for x86. The XFree86 server starts and works fine in dual head mode
with the XF86Config file telling it that it's a G400, but I have a couple
of problems:

1. The second display won't run DirectColor visuals. I put 'Visual
"DirectColor"' in the XF86Config file under the "Display" subsection in the
"Screen" section for both display devices, but only the primary device
actually comes up with a DirectColor visual when XFree starts (according to
xpdyinfo). The DirectColor visual provides a changeable colormap, and I
need this on both displays as I have a legacy app that flashes colors on
the screen by changing the color of a particular pixel cell once per
second. Does anyone know if this is a limitation of the Matrox hardware
itself, or a driver limitation? I asked in the Matrox forums but they
couldn't help me.

2. The legacy app described above, (Sammi from www.kinesix.com and
engineering application for displaying industrial control system
interfaces) was designed to run on XSun on Solaris, but due to a lack of
Sun drivers for the 2.5.1 version of Solaris for x86, I have to use XFree.
Sammi will start correctly and run, but for some reason won't allocate
colormap space for images it displays, and so where there should be images
is instead blank space! I have no idea why Sammi will allocate colormap
space for the colors it displays but not for external images, and since
this seems a very obscure problem I'm not expecting anyone will be able to
help, but if you can offer me any advice, I'd be very grateful :)

If there's another mailing list I should be asking these questions on,
please advise, but I thought they were more suited to here than the
development mailing list.

Thanks,
Bede Jordan

PS I'm currently using the 4.2.0 XFree server rather than 4.2.1 because
that's what the Matrox drivers are written for

_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to