On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I'm running an old Pentium Pro (I wish I could upgrade it, but other
> limiting factors) with a Matrox G450 PCI dual head card with XFree86 4.2.0
> and the mga 2.0 drivers on Solaris 2.5.1 (can't upgrade to a newer Solaris
> either) for x86. The XFree86 server starts and works fine in dual head mode
> with the XF86Config file telling it that it's a G400, but I have a couple
> of problems:
> 
> 1. The second display won't run DirectColor visuals. I put 'Visual
> "DirectColor"' in the XF86Config file under the "Display" subsection in the
> "Screen" section for both display devices, but only the primary device
> actually comes up with a DirectColor visual when XFree starts (according to
> xpdyinfo). The DirectColor visual provides a changeable colormap, and I
> need this on both displays as I have a legacy app that flashes colors on
> the screen by changing the color of a particular pixel cell once per
> second. Does anyone know if this is a limitation of the Matrox hardware
> itself, or a driver limitation? I asked in the Matrox forums but they
> couldn't help me.

   At least on the G400, the second head didn't have a palette so
it's not possible to implement DirectColor visuals or gamma correction.
Maybe that's changed in newer hardware though.  I don't know.


> 
> PS I'm currently using the 4.2.0 XFree server rather than 4.2.1 because
> that's what the Matrox drivers are written for

  I think you should be able to run 4.2 modules with a 4.2.1 server.


                                Mark.
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to