Hi,

The story goes on:

I very much apologize for my ignorance on kernel-package stuff. I just
compiled the modules myself, and brute-force copied radeon.o into my
/lib/modules. IT WORKS!!!!! No more errors, no unstabilities (well,
still I cant login, I have to kill login window, login via console and
then startx).

However, I get 20% less acceleration than with (older?) knoppix XFree...
glxgears give exactly 1kfps (0.1 before), while knoppix reports 1.2kfps.
It is not disaster, but I am just ambitious: why did it all happen, and
how/if could it have been avoided with normal sid xfree... and still,
why is knoppix faster?

thanks a lot for getting me on the right track
Dominik

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Dominik Szczerba wrote:

> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:41:32 +0100
> From: Dominik Szczerba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [XFree86] Thinkpad A31 and Radeon Mobility 7500
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot for hints. Here is the report:
>
> 1) I installed xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk and xlibmesa-gl1-dri-trunk
> from http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid/. I didnt find the
> mentioned xlibmesa3-dri-trunk.
>
> 2) I installed drm-trunk-module-src package, but havent built it - I
> have no idea about it nor about kernel-package...
>
> OK, I rebooted and....... new login window........
>
> I CANNOT LOGIN EVEN AS ROOT!!!!
>
> Switched to console, logged normally (ufffff, worked) and did startx. So
> I will get it fixed somehow myself, no problem.
>
> glxgears reported first over 1000 fps but also:
>
> libGL error: InitDriver failed
>
> and screwing up a bit my machine (display is slooow, windows are messed
> up a bit).
>
> Starting it the second time reported 100 fps only.... consistent with
> other GL apps, which also are veeeeery slow.... The error is there, apps
> are working, but very slow.
>
> What is wrong? Is it is this drm-trunk-module-src that I didnt built? If
> yes, then please, one word how to build it...
>
> thank you!
> Dominik
>
>
> Michel D�nzer wrote:
> > On Die, 2003-02-18 at 10:55, Dominik Szczerba wrote:
> >
> >>I have a problem on my IBM TP A31 running debian/unstable 2.4.20. Most
> >>(but not all!!) OpenGL commands dont work. Just "black screen" effect.
> >>GL_LINES and GL_POINTS work for example, but GL_TRIANGLES and more
> >>complex commands won't work.
> >>
> >>Is it something to do with libGL* stuff? So will newer XFree version help?
> >
> >
> > Yes, this is an xlibmesa3-gl problem (which has been reported several
> > times to the Debian BTS), the code is probably too old to build
> > correctly with the sid toolchain.
> >
> > http://penguinppc.org/~daniels/README or
> > http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/README.Debian should work.
> >
> >
> >
> >>What's the stage of development for Radeon 7500 in current CVS version?
> >
> >
> > It's very well supported.
> >
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> XFree86 mailing list
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86
>

-- 
----------------------------------
Dominik Szczerba, Dr.
CO-ME, D-ITET, ETZ F85
ETH, Gloriastr. 35
CH-8092 Zurich
http://www.vision.ee.ethz.ch/~domi
----------------------------------
ii swear i never use vi^[:wqZZ
----------------------------------
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86

Reply via email to